Friday, February 22, 2008

Message to the next volunteers

Welcome to Andavadock (sic),
You might be in for a bit of a shock.
I'm not going to talk about mozzies nor deet, Instead here's a kelikely poem all about feet.

It all begins very, very small,
Just when you think you are having a ball.
You slice a heel or stub a toe,
And then your life is full of woe.

Doc says no diving! and keep it clean!
You take no notice and think she's mean!
What does she know about diving?
She's never been!
Doesn't she know there's things to be seen?

The hole is getting bigger now,
"Please no diving", from the doc, oh she's a cow.
What does she know? the sea is blue,
I don't think she's got a clue!

It's getting sore and the hole is growing,
And from the centre the pus is flowing.
Oh my goodness, doc was right,
What a truly horrendous sight.

Cleaned and iodine-d and bandaged too,
My foot is so swollen, it won't fit into my shoe!
Now keep it clean and keep it dry,
And watch for any red lines tracking to your thigh.

Dancing in the Epi bar all night long,
I knew it was wrong;
Especially as my bandage didn't last very long.
Antibiotics prescribed by the doc,
Who would have thought all this from kicking a rock?

Red line appearing, I know it's too late, There it is again. that word. EVACUATE!!!
Let me stay. please, please, please,
But the infection is spreading up to my knees!

I leave Andavadoaka before the end,
And so please pass on this story, my friend.
As you are here, you never met the same fate, Because you guys never left it too late.
And you are the last ones here to survive , On EXPEDITION 35.

Written by Charlie (Field Scientist) and Becks (BV Medic)

No comments: